Unseen feel in virtual worlds
Project Presentation: ”VirtualFeel”
- Name: VirtualFeel
- Vision: This project aims to develop wearbles to Metaverse to take the experience to a new level.The vision is to bring the sense of touch to the metaverse, enhancing virtual experiences with realistic tactile sensations.
Haptic Technology Overview:
- Purpose: Haptic sensors enable the replication of touch sensations such as texture, pressure, and vibration in virtual environments.
- Recent advances in thin-film electronics and tactile sensors are enabling new possibilities for haptic feedback in wearable devices. Flexible pressure sensors, actuators, and control circuits integrated into fabrics can simulate touch and texture.
- Ultra-thin, skin-conformal haptic interfaces have achieved over 1,000 perceptible pressure levels using less than 3 volts.
- Machine learning is being combined with flexible haptics for intelligent, physiology-responsive modulation of pressure and vibration patterns .
- Such technologies promise greatly enhanced virtual reality, prosthetics, navigation aids for the visually impaired, entertainment, and more.
- Principle: Utilize force, vibration, and motion to simulate tactile experiences.
- Growth: Projected to be a $12.8 billion industry by 2022.
Types of Haptic Sensors:
- Eccentric Rotating Mass Vibration (ERMV): Operates like a DC motor, ideal for simple circuits and low-cost applications.
- Linear Resonant Actuators (LRAs): Use AC voltage for precise start/stop timing and adjustable vibrational amplitude.
- Piezo Haptics: Based on the piezo effect, offering precise control over a wide range of frequencies and amplitudes.
- Broad Range: From telerobotics and smartphones to VR systems and automotive dashboards.
- Metaverse Integration: Pair with VR headsets for immersive experiences, enhancing interaction in virtual worlds.
- Soft Materials: Innovative approach with AI tools for innovation processes for developing new materials and manufacturing technologies for enhanced comfort and functionality. The possibilities span from gaming and entertainment to navigation aids for the visually impaired. Ongoing improvements in materials, components, and algorithms will enable VirtualFeel’s goal of immersive haptic feedback wearables.
- Non-contact Haptics: Exploring ultrasound and air pocket technologies for touch-free interactions.
- Current Utilization: Widely used in gaming controllers, medical simulators, and automotive applications.
- Future Prospects: Expanding to new realms like virtual reality and the metaverse.
Challenges and Opportunities:
- Technical Challenges: Balancing precision, power consumption, and user comfort.
- Market Opportunity: Riding the wave of virtual reality and metaverse expansion.
Focus on advancing haptic technologies for metaverse applications. Applications with advanced 2D nanomaterials. Graphene enhanced fabrics and graphene fiber have unique properties and a game-changer in haptic wearbles where we can create an experience of touch by applying forces, vibrations, or motions to the user.
- High electrical and conductivity resistance
- Thermal conductor
- Water repellency
- High modulus of elasticity
- Low density
- Mechanical strength
These properties make graphene a versatile material in order to create new and innovative wearables for unique experiences. It includes haptic technology, kinaesthetic communication and 3D touch.
Recent developments in textile-integrated sensors and actuators enable garments capable of detecting touch and generating tactile stimuli across large areas.
Sensors woven into fabrics can sense pressure, motion, and biometrics. Actuators in the form of heating elements, vibration motors, and pneumatic modules can recreate sensations of touch, texture, and motion. Machine learning optimizes feedback individually.
These smart textiles provide exciting new capabilities for VirtualFeel’s systems. By integrating intimate sensors and actuators into clothing, advanced haptic feedback can be delivered without needing to wear separate devices.
The user experience is greatly enhanced through whole-body, high-resolution stimulation and natural integration into everyday attire. This will revolutionize fields like virtual reality, training, gaming, and rehabilitation.
VirtualFeel aims to further develop this promising technology to offer world-leading immersive experiences. Partnerships with companies at the forefront of smart textiles are critical. Continued breakthroughs in materials, components, and algorithms will further expand the possibilities.
Positioning VirtualFeel as a pioneer in metaverse haptic solutions.